Charter Day 2018

Building Berkeley

For our Charter Day issue, The Daily Californian has created an interactive map for readers to see the expansion of UC Berkeley since its founding in 1868.

By

The campus we know today is vastly different from its humble beginnings. In 1873, the campus comprised only two buildings — North and South halls — one of which still stands today. Other buildings were not as lucky.

Scroll down to find our map detailing buildings and landmarks through the decades as they grew to become the campus we walk through every day. Pay special attention to when iconic structures such as the Campanile and Sather Gate were erected, and see how old some of the classrooms you’re sitting in are.

Note: This map is not a comprehensive projection of every building to exist on campus — some have been left out for clarity.

The Original Campus — 1873

1873 - South Hall: First of two original buildings. Cornerstone laid in 1872.

1873 - North Hall: Razed in 1931. Site now occupied by Doe Library.

1870s

1879 - Mining and Mechanic Arts Building: Renamed to Civil Engineering Building in 1907. Again renamed to Anthropological Museum in 1931. Razed in 1959 to clear site for Campbell Hall.

1880s

1881 - Bacon Hall: Razed in 1961 to clear site for Birge Hall. Formerly known as Bacon Art and Library Building. Renamed in 1911.

1885 - Anatomy Building: Formerly Metallurgical Laboratory. Renamed in 1907. Razed in 1937 to clear site for Crocker Radiation Laboratory.

1888 - Agriculture Building: Razed in 1930. Rebuilt as Budd Hall in 1897 after it was destroyed by fire. Razed 1930 to clear site for Moses Hall.

1890s

1891 - Chemistry Building: Razed in 1963. Razed to clear site for Hildebrand Hall.

1893 - Conservatory: Razed in 1924.

1893 - Goldman School of Public Policy: Formerly Beta Theta Fraternity chapter house. University purchased in 1966. Became Public Policy school in 1969. Named Goldman School of Public Policy in 1997.

1893 - Mechanics Building: Renamed Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Building in 1931. Razed in 1965 to clear site for Davis Hall addition.

1898 - Botany Building: Razed in 1930 as a fire hazard.

1898 - East Hall: Razed in 1942 as a fire hazard. First located on site of LeConte Hall. Moved to site of Morrison Hall in 1921.

1898 - Hearst Hall: Destroyed by fire in 1922. Now used for southern portion of Wurster Hall.

1898 - Psychology Building: Razed in 1930. Formerly known as Philosophy Building. Renamed in 1916. Razed as fire hazard.

1900s

1903 - Faculty Club

1903 - Hearst Greek Theatre

1904 - Anthropology Building: Razed in 1953 to clear site for Hertz Hall.

1905 - California Hall

1906 - North Gate Hall: Originally named the Architecture Building. Renamed Engineering Research Services Building in 1964. Now officially called North Gate Hall.

1906 - Senior Hall

1907 - Hearst Memorial Mining Building

1910s

1911 - Durant Hall: Formerly Boalt Hall of Law. Renamed in 1951.

1911 - University House: Formerly known as President’s House.

1912 - Wellman Hall: Formerly known as Agriculture Hall.

1912 - Julia Morgan Hall: Also known as Girton Hall.

1913 - Chemistry Auditorium: Razed in 1959 to clear site for Latimer Hall.

1913 - Sather Gate and Bridge

1914 - Sather Tower, also known as the Campanile

1917 - Doe Memorial Library

1917 - Gilman Hall

1917 - Wheeler Hall

1917 - Hilgard Hall

1920s

1920 - Military Science Building: Became Music Building in 1933, then Dwinelle Annex in 1958.

1922 - Social Welfare Building: Razed in 1953 to clear site for Alumni House.

1923 - Band Building: Razed in 1964 to improve pedestrian circulation.

1923 - Stephens Hall: Formerly known as Stephens Memorial Union.

1923 - California Memorial Stadium: Dedicated to memory of university students who lost their lives in World War I. Seats 77,000.

1924 - Haviland Hall

1924 - Hesse Hall

1924 - Le Conte Hall

1927 - Botanical Gardens

1927 - Hearst Gymnasium for Women

1927 - Anna Head Alumnae Hall

1929 - Architects and Engineers Building: Formerly known as Grounds and Buildings Building. Renamed in 1961.

1929 - Bowles Hall

1930s

1930 - Giannini Hall

1930 - International House: Occupied by Navy V-12 units during World War II and called Callaghan Hall. Returned to university in 1946.

1930 - Valley Life Sciences Building: Formerly known as the Life Sciences Building.

1931 - Davis Hall: Formerly known as Engineering Materials Laboratory. Renamed in 1966.

1931 - McLaughlin Hall: Formerly known as Engineering Building. Renamed in 1966.

1931 - Moses Hall: Formerly Eshleman Hall (1931 to 1964). Originally a publications building for The Daily Californian and student magazines owned by ASUC.

1931 - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

1937 - Crocker Radiation Laboratory: Razed twice — 1962 and 1966. First lab built specifically to house a cyclotron. East portion of building razed in 1962 to clear site for Physical Sciences Lecture Hall. West portion razed to improve campus landscape.

1940s

1941 - Optometry Building: Formerly known as Emergency Classroom Building, then Durant Hall.

1941 - Sproul Hall: Formerly known as Administration Building.

1941 - Minor Hall

1942 - Donner Laboratory

1942 - Stern Hall

1948 - Lewis Hall

1948 - Mulford Hall: Formerly known as Forestry Building. Renamed in 1964.

1949 - Bancroft Library

1949 - Clark Kerr Campus

1950s

1950 - Cory Hall

1952 - Dwinelle Hall

1953 - Home Economics Building: Renamed Morgan Hall in 1962.

1954 - Alumni House

1954 - Giauque Hall

1955 - Warren Hall: Demolished and rebuilt at nearby location in 2005.

1957 - Anthony Hall: Also known as the Pelican Building.

1958 - Hertz Memorial Hall of Music

1958 - Morrison Hall

1959 - Campbell Hall

1959 - Haas Clubhouse

1959 - Kroeber Hall

1959 - University Hall

1959 - O'Brien Hall

1959 - Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union: Rebuilt in 2015.

1960s

1960 - Unit 1 Residence Hall

1960 - Unit 2 Residence Hall

1960 - César E. Chávez Student Center

1961 - Earth Sciences Building

1961 - McCone Hall

1962 - Tolman Hall

1963 - Chemical Biodynamics Laboratory

1963 - Latimer Hall

1964 - Barrows Hall

1964 - Birge Hall

1964 - Wurster Hall

1964 - Barker Hall

1964 - Etcheverry Hall

1964 - Pimentel Hall

1964 - Unit 3 Residence Hall

1965 - Eshleman Hall: Rebuilt in 2015.

1966 - Boalt Hall

1966 - Hildebrand Hall

1966 - Lawrence Hall of Science

1966 - Simon Hall

1967 - Evans Hall

1968 - Moffitt Undergraduate Library

1968 - Zellerbach Hall

1970s

1970 - Woo Han Fai Hall: Former location of Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive.

1974 - Office of Public Affairs

1978 - Minor Hall Addition

1980s

1980 - Bechtel Engineering Center

1984 - Recreational Sports Facility

1990s

1990 - Foothill Residence Halls

1990 - Genetics and Plant Biology

1990 - Koshland Hall

1992 - Cleary Hall

1993 - Tang Center

1994 - Soda Hall

1995 - Cheit Hall

1995 - Haas School of Business

1996 - Tan Hall

1999 - Hearst Field Annex

1999 - Haas Pavilion

2000s

2004 - Jean Gray Hargrove Music Library

2007 - Stanley Hall

2008 - C. V. Starr East Asian Library

2009 - Sutardja Dai Hall

Today

2010 - Blum Hall. Formerly known as Naval Architecture Building. Built in 1914

2011 - Li Ka Shing Hall

2012 - Martinez Commons

2012 - Energy Biosciences Building

2015 - Jacobs Hall

2016 - Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive: Founded in 1963. Moved to new home in 2016.

About this story

Most data was collected from The Centennial Record of the University of California, which can be found online here. This project also cited more recent structures from UC Berkeley’s Campus Map.

This project is open-source on GitHub.


Support us

We're a nonprofit, student-run newsroom. Please consider donating to support our coverage.