Name redacted

Professor in the UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture

The female undergraduate student was in a class that the professor instructed and in a performance group he supervised. When the student asked for a letter of recommendation after her semester in his class, he allegedly wrote to her in an email that he didn't want to " 'come on' too much" but that she had become a "very special person" to him. After she thanked him for writing the letter of recommendation, he professed in an email that he had romantic feelings for her, writing, “If I was presently your professor and you were my student, I could never have communicated all this to you. There are horrendous rules against it. But, since we are not professor-student, I allowed myself to be incredibly vulnerable — take an enormous risk — demonstrate a huge TRUST in you that this would remain TOTALLY CONFIDENTIAL FOREVER," according to the Title IX investigation. The student wrote back that he had misunderstood her and asked him not to contact her again, the Title IX investigation stated. The professor expressed remorse for his actions to the Title IX investigator and said he "was only expressing his romantic interest" and had "no intention to take it further." The professor retired with emeritus status but is not permitted to work for the UC system in the future.

Campus: Los Angeles

Complaint date: July 6, 1905